If you’ve been trying to figured out how to keep the security and structure of a well-established, large company while pursuing a life in tech, you’ll definitely want to listen to today’s episode with Alaric Eby (probably multiple times)!
Alaric’s journey starts right at the beginning of the most recent economic depression in the United States working at a Citigroup, a large financial institution in New York City. He’ll share his struggles in making his transition into Product Management at a smaller hospitality-focused tech company and how he’s currently solving problems through digital solutions at American Express.
Alaric has found his Empjoyment by asking himself “how and why” to build Jenga towers out of Legos (you’ll get it when you listen), which he applies in tech through product management. We dive into Alaric’s view on what a product manager is and what skills, approaches, and mindsets can lead you to success as well.
Listen now to learn how to:
- Gain experience in tech while working in large companies and industries not known for their tech approaches
- Leverage the words “Why” and “How” in your current role to build work examples that can translate to product management positions
- Embrace a mindset that will help you be successful in tech regardless of your previous background
TL;DL (Too long; Didn’t Listen): 3 Actionable Takeaways
- Accelerate your time to completion to set yourself apart at work and give yourself opportunities for new projects
- Look for opportunities to own a product or idea from beginning to end to build the type of experience many would consider indicative of product management work
- Continue to sow your seeds in the job market even when facing initial rejection while focusing on how you talk and about the work you’ve done for others to understand how it applies to the work you’re looking to do
But wait there’s more! Share your #1 takeaway with today’s featured Empjoyee and other Empjoyees in the Empjoyment community!
From Insight to Action
“If you want to be, do” – John Lee Dumas
Alaric brought up that the way to gain experience is to find a problem and solve it. We want your resume and interview experience to be filled with relevant experiences, so let’s make sure you build one more today.
Your Joyney: Come share “What problem have you seen in your work life (incl. volunteer work) that you can address and how will you go about solving it”within the Empjoyment Community.
Additional Resources to Accelerate your Growth
- Find out more about Alaric’s company: American Express
- Connect with Alaric on LinkedIn
- Continue finding empjoyment by learning how to leverage design principles to create the best experience for your users with Angélique Bélizaire (Product Designer)
Getting to Know Today’s Featured Empjoyee: Alaric Eby!
Alaric graduated from Cornell University in 2010 with a degree in Applied Economics and Management.
He has deep experience working across companies both large (200K+ employees) and small (<1000 employees) across a variety of industries, focusing on creating new digital products for a wide population of businesses and consumers.
While most of his expertise may commonly be oversimplified as product management, Alaric has extensive firsthand knowledge of the challenges and opportunities which present themselves when driving new initiatives from ideation through launch.
Spread the Joy to Help Others Experience Empjoyment
Kudos to you for taking another step towards experiencing enjoyment through employment through today’s episode.
If you find this podcast helpful, we would greatly appreciate if you took a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast in iTunes. They’re extremely helpful when it comes to helping new Empjoyees know that this is a podcast that really has their interest at heart. Plus, we read each and every one personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode, share the episode with one person you know who would benefit from today’s episode, and let us know if you’d like to share your story as a featured Empjoyee to help others learn from your experience too.